Our BestSellersBrowse All
To the traditional South African Veldskoen
Veldskoene (pronounced “FELT-skoona”), also known as vellies (pronounced “FELL-ys”), are South African walking shoes constructed of vegetable-tanned leather or soft rawhide leather uppers or suede, bonded to a leather footbed and rubber sole without the use of tacks or nails.
The name vellie skoene (shoe) is derived from Afrikaans vel (“skin”), which was eventually merged with veld (“field”) and veld (“field”) (“shoes”). The first Dutch settlers in South Africa created them in the 17th century. Their design is thought to be inspired by the traditional Khoisan footwear that these settlers have seen. When velskoene were utilized as the Great Trek’s footwear, the footwear became ingrained in the Afrikaaner consciousness, and it will be part of our culture for a long time.
Vellies became a part of South African, Zimbabwean (formerly Rhodesian), and Namibian culture, worn by people of all classes and professions, often without socks, but especially by students, farmers, and safari guides. C&J Clark, Nathan Clark’s shoe company, popularized the desert boot, which was modeled from veldskoens’ round toe and design. The shape and structure of veldskoene he saw for sale in Cairo bazaars were inspired by the body and design of veldskoene imported from South Africa.
1 Note the more contemporary sole style.
Vellies are sometimes referred to as light boots, and they are essentially a subset of chukka boots or desert boots, albeit vellies have a lower topline.
Old vehicle tires, rather than crepe rubber, are occasionally used to make Veldskoene soles.
SA Vellies is an all-time classic. For enhanced comfort and durability, it’s made the old-fashioned way, with top-quality leather. The leather and suede we use for a pair of our vellie veldskoen range is made for comfort and durability.
Not only are these veldskoene shoes part of South Africa, but you will be very much on trend with your veldskoen shoes, whether at a braai or at the office, they will take you to your destination in style. Your vellies are just the right pair of shoes for your wardrobe.
- Measure your foot, stand on a piece of paper and draw the line at the longest toe and straight down from the heel; that will give the measurement of your foot, don’t measure just your footprint. It needs to be from your heel to your toe to get the right shoe size for your veldskoen.
- The veldskoen vellies come in a variety of designs colors; pick your favorite or more than one 😉
- Add to cart
- You might be lucky and win free shipping.
- Fill in your address – please make sure that you reside in South Africa.
- Make your payment
- And the rest is our job to get your vellie veldskoene to you.